"2 AGOSTO" INTERNATIONAL COMPOSING COMPETITION
TWENTIETH EDITION 2014
The Twentieth Edition of the “2 Agosto” International Composing Competition is announced and it is promoted by the “Associazione Familiari Vittime della Strage alla Stazione di Bologna del 2 Agosto 1980”, the “Comitato di Solidarietà alle Vittime delle Stragi”, in collaboration with the Fondazione Cineteca di Bologna, and the Fondazione Teatro Comunale di Bologna. The 2014 edition of the “2 Agosto” International Composing Competition is realised in collaboration with the Scuola Nazionale di Cinema - Centro Sperimentale di Cinematografia di Roma, the Fondazione Musica per Roma, and the Conservatorio Nazionale di Santa Cecilia. The Competition is developed under the High Patronage of the President of the Italian Republic.
- The Competition will award the following prizes:
First Prize: € 5.000,00
Second Prize: € 2.500,00
Third Prize: € 1.500,00
The winning scores will be performed live in Bologna on 2nd August 2014, as one of the commemorative events held in memory of the victims of the slaughters.
- The Competition is open to musicians of all nationalities, who are not older than 41 on June 15, 2014.
- Within the Competition website, competitors may find four video clips. Each composer may choose one or more video clips and then compose a score for such video clip(s). The score has to be for orchestra as per the maximum instruments allowed according to bullet number 5.
Sections of the work could be also realized through MP3 digital audio media format. For this purpose competitors should take into account that the orchestra is tuned at 442 Hz.
The aim of such competition is to suggest and stimulate the dialogue among different cultures, therefore participants - if they are willing to -, are invited to turn either to jazz, blues, rock or other folk styles and traditions.
Competitors are requested to bear in mind that one of the main aims of the Competition is the open air performance of the winning scores. Therefore the Jury will not take into consideration those scores that are unsuitable for open air performance, even if through a suitable amplification.
- The score must last as the video clip(s) chosen.
- The maximum instrumentation allowed is the following:
Three flutes (one can be a piccolo), two oboes (one can be a cor anglais), two clarinets, bass clarinet, two bassoons, four French horns, three trumpets, three trombones (one must be a bass trombone), tuba, timpani, two performers of percussions (small percussions, plates, drums, glockenspiel, xylophone, vibraphone, marimba), harp, and strings. Scores for a smaller instrumentation (but neither larger, nor different from the above indications) are also allowed. However, in determining the instrumentation, competitors must remember that the final concert will be an open-air performance.
Scores may also include the following instruments: electronic keyboards (synthesizer or samplers), electric guitar, and electric bass guitar, drums, as a rhythm section only (that is, without improvisation parts given to these instruments). As per electronic keyboards, if any, competitors have to accurately specify the type of timber to be used.
- The video clips can be downloaded from the website www.concorso2agosto.it
- Scores must be anonymous and must not contain any mark of identification. The scores could have been published, but in this case competitors are asked to remove any editorial marks. However, the scores must not have been previously performed. Competitors will have to enclose a personal declaration confirming that the work has never been performed before.
Applicants are suggested to enclose to their score an audio file by sending it within the MP3/MP4 format through the ONLINE procedure of our website www.concorso2agosto.it . The audio and video files will represent a mere support to the Jury decision, which will be in any case based on the score itself.
For any further information or requirements, competitors may contact the Competition Secretary’s Office via e-mail at: email@example.com.
- The sending of the scores and the participation to the Competition does not require any subscription fee.
- The scores must be sent according to the following ONLINE procedures:
Through the website www.concorso2agosto.it, on the section SUBSCRIPTION/PARTICIPATION, competitors will have to fill in the form with their personal data for precise cataloguing purposes.
Competitors will have to upload their scores in .PDF format, plus their CV, and the audio and video files. For more info and suggestions about the PDF creation and about the management of audio and video files, please refer to the specific section on the website www.concorso2agosto.it
At the end of the on-line procedure competitors will receive an e-mail message from the Competition’s Secretary Office stating that application and score uploading have been successfully completed.
Deadline of the on-line application: June 15, 2014 at 12pm GMT.
- The commission's judgment cannot be appealed against.
For further information, please contact: Secretary's Office of the International Composing Competition “2 Agosto” E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org - website: www.concorso2agosto.it